Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Breaking the Language Barrier

Zev is repeating so many words these days. Pretty soon he's going to be a non-stop chatterbox, I can tell already. Here are some of his latest favs:

Bed: When Zev wakes up from his nap he walks around his crib, pats his bedding and says "beh, beh." He loves his crib so much that I have to either say "Want to play with Stella?" or "Go see dada?" before he'll let me pick him up. This is from a baby who wanted nothing to do with his crib for the first year! I'm glad he loves his space so much.

Pop: Referring to bubbles and Grandpa Joe. He recently started calling Grandpa Joe 'pop pop' on his own!

Body parts: Zev can say neck, nose (sounds like oooooooh), ears (eah, eah), eye, hand (something like hah), belly (beh), hair, head (heh), arm (ahrh)

Tickle: This is the best. It started with Zev circling his finger saying "rah, rah" imitating us saying "round and round and tickle, tickle!" Then he puts both hands at the top of his tummy, tickles himself and says "tick, tick, tick!" smiling and giggling. He tickles mommy and daddy too.

Tick tock: When he sees a clock he says "tick, tick, tick" which he learned in the book Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?

Animal noises: he's added monkey, elephant, duck, cat, and improved on the others (cow says "moo" now, not "muhh" anymore. Working on chicken.

Colors: Says "red" (reh) all the time. Think I've been hearing him say blue. He also does the sign for red.

He's saying and repeating so much I can't list it all, but those are a few. Sometimes it sounds like he's saying "I do it" but we're not quite sure. He has his own language that he uses to tell stories and talk on the phone.

For the past few weeks, Zev has been eating his yogurt and blueberries with a spoon on his own. He gets about 2/3rds of it into his mouth. I'll post photos soon.

He brushes his teeth, holding the toothbrush himself as we guide his hand, every night after bath.

He loves to hold hands when we're walking.


We're enjoying this time in Zev's life immensely. I feel ecstatic watching this little wonder before my eyes. He's such a sweet, smart and loving little boy. We're very fortunate. Every night before we go to sleep Jeff and I recount some of the amazing and adorable things Zev's done throughout the day to each other, no matter how tired we are. It's not planned, it just happens naturally. I can't remember the last time one of us didn't have to tell the other about something new or funny Zev did.

I'm really incredibly tired now so forgive me if this post isn't well written! It's 8:41 and I'm off to bed. Goodnight, Happy Chanukah and Merry Christmas!

No comments: