Thursday, February 26, 2009

Welcome Baby Sister Janna!

Zev is now a big brother to our beautiful baby Janna! She arrived on Monday, February 16th at 1:35am and was 6 lbs 1 oz, 18 3/4 inches. My water broke in our home at 9:30pm, we went to the hospital, I started having contractions at around 10pm, and she was born just a few hours later! From 6cm I dilated to 10cm so quickly that my doctor hadn't even left her house. The nurses were telling me not to push while my doctor (who I am forever grateful to) actually broke her toe rushing out of her dark bedroom. From what the nurses told me I turned the whole thing into a stand-up comedy routine and had them laughing like crazy between contractions. I don't remember much of this but I know how I get once I have an audience so I'm not really surprised... For more details, ask Jeffrey.

Janna is now one week old and here are a few things we've learned about her:
-She's a natural when it comes to nursing. Her first latch was great and she nursed for 40 minutes right after birth. Now she nurses about every 1-2 hours during the day and once every 2-4 hours at night.
-We are blessed with a good nighttime sleeper. Last night Janna woke up to eat after 3 hrs, then 4 hrs, then 2 hrs. I got a good 8 hours of sleep! We credit this partly to her relaxed and happy nature but also to the Arm's Reach Cocoon Sleeper . It's a baby hammock that cradles her like she's being held and swings gently when she moves.
-Sometimes Janna covers her eyes with her hands when she sleeps. It's very cute.

-Girl can eat and poop. A lot. Nuff said.
-I can make her smile by rubbing her head. It's a real smile, not just gas. I know because her eyes roll to the back of her head and she gets this heavenly look of happiness.

Zev has been gentle and sweet with his baby sister. When he sees her in the morning he says "Hi Baby Jannna!" and sometimes he gives her kisses. Still, we can tell that it takes an emotional toll on him by his 3 hr naps and 1x a day crying fit over something that normally wouldn't bother him. It's an adjustment period that I hope won't last long. Other than the crying fit he's a happy and healthy boy. His vocabulary has increased exponentially and he's saying 2-3 word simple sentences like "Read the book"
and "I did it." He says words like vitamin (he loves his gummy vites), balloon and all of the primary colors. He loves wearing his fireman's hat and saying "wee-new, wee-new" like a fire truck.

Having two beautiful children feels great and isn't as hard as I thought it would be. As Jeff said, Janna brings a sense of balance to our family. We're so excited about our present and future as a family.





6 comments:

Casa Villarreal said...

I am so glad things are going well!

Jamie said...

So happy for you guys! And I love the picture of the 3 of you.

LB said...

Congratulations! That is so cute how she covers her eyes like a kitty sleeping. Adorable!

JCowf said...

Dear Keren, Jeff and Zev,
I'm so happy about your new little baby Janna! I love you all and I'm very happy your family is complete.

Love,

Grandma Sally

Michelle, Matt, Isabelle and Sawyer said...

She is beautiful! I am glad things are going so smoothly!

Marana Grays said...

I'm so glad to hear that everything is progressing beautifully. I love your haircut too...yes it's been that long since we've seen each other.